Arrow of Light Scouting Adventure
Adventure Goal: Introduction to how Boy Scout patrols and troops work.
Complete the following Requirements.
- Prepare yourself to become a Boy Scout by completing at least a-c below:
- Repeat from memory the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan. In your own words, explain their meanings to your den leader, parent, or guardian.
- Explain what Scout spirit is. Describe for your den leader, parent, or guardian some ways you have shown Scout spirit by conducting yourself according to the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan.
- Give the Boy Scout sign, salute, and handshake. Explain when to use each.
- Describe the First Class Scout badge, and tell what each part stands for. Explain the significance of the First Class Scout badge.
- Repeat from memory the Pledge of Allegiance. In your own words, explain its meaning
- Visit a Boy Scout troop meeting with your parent or guardian and, if possible, with your den members and leaders. After the meeting, do the following:
- Describe how the Scouts in the troop provide its leadership.
- Describe the four steps of Boy Scout advancement.
- Describe ranks in Boy Scouting and how they are earned.
- Describe what merit badges are and how they are earned.
- Practice the patrol method in your den for one month by doing the following:
- Explain the patrol method. Describe the types of patrols that might be part of a Boy Scout troop.
- Hold an election to choose the patrol leader.
- Develop a patrol name and emblem (if your den does not already have one), as well as a patrol flag and yell. Explain how a patrol name, emblem, flag, and yell create patrol spirit.
- As a patrol, make plans to participate in a Boy Scout troop's campout or other outdoor activity.
- With your Webelos den leader, parent, or guardian, participate in a Boy Scout troop's campout or other outdoor activity. Use the patrol method while on the outing.
- Do the following:
- Show how to tie a square knot, two half hitches, and a taut-line hitch. Explain how each knot is used.
- Show the proper care of a rope by learning how to whip and fuse the ends of different kinds of rope.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the pocketknife safety rules and the pocketknife pledge. If you have not already done so, earn your Whittling Chip card.
Ideas for Adventure Requirements:
- Review Scout Oath, Scout Law. Scout Spirit is following the Scout Oath and Law in a scout's everyday life, not just while at scouting activities.
- Here are some Troop Questions to keep in mind when visiting a troop meeting.
- Patrol names and emblems can come from these BSA Patrol Patches, or made up by the den. Patrol leader is a tough job. This advice might be helpful.
- It's best to organize this as a den activity since using the patrol method doesn't work with just a scout and his mom/dad. Work with a local troop's leadership well in advance to schedule your den's participation in their campout.
- Have scouts practice knots at home. Review the knot pictures in the Webelos handbook. To check if the square knot is correct, both ropes on one side are in front of the bight and both ropes on the other side are behind the bight.
For taut-line and two half hitches, the working end of the rope always goes around the standing end in the same direction - a common mistake is to reverse it after the first loop.
These knots and rope care are great things to do on the Boy Scout campout.
- Review the Whittlin' Chip requirements.
Den Meeting Ideas for Scouting Adventure:
- Tell Scout Spirit minute
- Tell Patrol Spirit minute
- Play Taut-line Hitch activity, Licorice Knots, Chain Gang Escape to practice knots.
- Consider starting a Patrol Staff that the scouts can take on to Boy Scouts, if they stay in their same gang.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts
Mary on Rattlesnake Story
Jane on Personal Fitness mb
Jane on Arrow of Light
Clark on Arrow of Light
Vex on Announcements song
Fariha Siddiqui on Personal Fitness mb
Heath Gorenflo on /content/skit/plane_engine_trouble-144.aspMore Comments...