Art Merit Badge
Requirements for the Art merit badge:
- Discuss the following with your counselor:
- What art is and what some of the different forms of art are
- The importance of art to humankind
- What art means to you and how art can make you feel
- Discuss with your counselor the following terms and elements of art: line, value, shape, form, space, color, and texture. Show examples of each element.
- Discuss with your counselor the six principles of design: rhythm, balance, proportion, variety, emphasis, and unity.
- Render a subject of your choice in FOUR of these ways:
- Pen and ink,
- Oil paints,
- Computer drawing or painting
- Do ONE of the following:
- Design something useful. Make a sketch or model of your design. With your counselor's approval, create a promotional piece for the item using a picture or pictures.
- Tell a story with a picture or pictures or using a 3-D rendering.
- Design a logo. Share your design with your counselor and explain the significance of your logo. Then, with your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, put your logo on Scout equipment, furniture, ceramics, or fabric.
- With your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, visit a museum, art exhibit, art gallery, artists' co-op, or artist's workshop. Find out about the art displayed or created there. Discuss what you learn with your counselor.
- Find out about three career opportunities in art. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Feb 21, 2013 - stanley knox
the scouts have always promoted the creative spark in it`s members it was true for me in the 50`sJun 23, 2013 - David
Art MB #3, is it the same subject four different ways or up to four subjects four different ways?Jun 23, 2013 - Scouter Paul
@David - Same subject, Four different ways.Dec 07, 2013 - Amanda
art MB #2 when it says show an example of each element does that mean that the scout must create a piece of art work for each art element or do they need to see this in another artist's art?Mar 25, 2015 - Ian Stuart
For requirement 6 could a camp have art that past scouts have made hung up in the dining hall or art lodge and let that be an art gallery the scouts could visit to complete the badge at camp?Apr 27, 2016 - Aman1
For number 4, can we use pencil like sketch or does it have to be colored pencil?Apr 27, 2016 - Scouter Paul
@Aman1 - Req #4c just says "pencil", not colored pencil.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts
Donna on Scholarship MB
Jane on Msgr Peace Award
Jane on Msgr Peace Award
Scouter Paul on Msgr Peace Award
Tom Champ on Msgr Peace Award
Jerome C Starr on Scout Law
Louie on Books Never Written
Scouter Paul on Camping MB
Mayank - Life Scout on Camping MB
Angela Bunting on Silver Birch songMore Comments...