Messengers of Peace Award
Messengers of Peace is a global initiative aimed at encouraging youth to work toward peace. Taking advantage of social media, scouts from around the world share their efforts in order to inspire other scouts to undertake similar projects.
The World Scout Committee is promoting this program and it is administered by the World Scout Bureau.
Any Scout or Scouter who participates in a qualifying project can wear the Messengers of Peace ring patch. It is displayed around the World Crest above the left pocket of the uniform. Patches can be purchased by a unit representative at a local Scout Shop or council service center.
A qualifying project has a significant impact on the community in one of these three dimensions of peace:
- Personal dimension: harmony, justice, and equality
- Community dimension: peace as opposed to hostility or violent conflict
- Relationship between humankind and environment: security, social and economic welfare, and environment
Getting the Patch
Units that want to purchase patches should submit their Messengers of Peace related projects through the Journey to Excellence website and check the 'Messengers of Peace' box. This adds the project to the map on the Messengers of Peace website and generates a unit certificate which should be taken to the Scout Shop to purchase patches.
Some Project Ideas
- Personal Dimension:
- Holiday party for children of prison inmates
- Book drive for inner-city school
- Visit nursing home residents
- Participate in Feed the Children, Feed My Starving Children, Toys 4 Tots, or other organization charitable efforts
- Community Dimension:
- Build a community prayer or meditation garden
- Paint over graffiti with peace-related murals
- Participate as 'victims' for CERT or EMT training courses
- Host a day of games, sports, and activities that brings together kids from different segments of your community
- Environmental Dimension:
- Conduct a park, schoolground, campground, or river clean-up day
- Remove invasive species
- Clear brush from fire buffer zone
- Perform shoreline or natural area restoration
More ideas at JTE Tips.
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Nov 21, 2012 - Laura
We are planning to take books to 2 rural schools in Kenya to create libraries for each school. Would this project be a qualifying project for Messengers of Peace Award since we will hold a book drive to collect books for the schools?
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts