Kayaking BSA Award
This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
- Before fulfilling the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA Swimmer test.
- Do the following:
- Describe various types of kayaks and how they differ in design, materials, and purpose.
- Name the parts of the kayak you are using for this exercise.
- Demonstrate how to choose an appropriately sized kayak paddle and how to position your hands.
- Do the following:
- Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe trip afloat.
- Demonstrate how to select and properly fit a PFD.
- Explain the importance of safety equipment such as PFDs, air bags, grab loops, and helmets.
- Demonstrate your ability to aid yourself and others in the event of a capsize:
- Capsize your kayak in water at least seven feet deep, perform a wet exit if necessary, and swim the boat to shore.
- With assistance, if needed, ready the capsized craft for use.
- Show how to approach a capsized paddler in your kayak and tow him to shore.
- While upright in your kayak, right a capsized kayak, empty it of water, and assist the paddler aboard without returning to shore.
- As a solo paddler, demonstrate the following:
- Entering and launching a kayak from shore or dock.
- Landing or docking and exiting a kayak.
- Forward stroke
- Sweep stroke
- Reverse sweep
- Draw stroke
- Rudder stroke
- Back stroke
- As a solo paddler, do the following:
- Paddle forward in a reasonably straight line.
- Move the kayak sideways to the right and to the left.
- Pivot 360 degrees to the right and left.
- Stop the kayak.
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Mar 02, 2013 - link
Can you wear the Kayaking Bsa Award on the back of your merit badge sash?Mar 02, 2013 - Scouter Paul
Yes, the Kayaking BSA patch can be worn on the back of the merit badge sash. See page 31 of the 2012 Guide to Awards and Insignia.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts
Scouter Paul on Wilderness Survival MB
Jay on Wilderness Survival MB
kayla on Rattlesnake Story
Anthony Hughes on Mile Swim award
Scouter Paul on /blog/1360.asp
Tonya Lillie on /blog/1360.asp
Cubmaster Albert on Fireman Chit award
Sheryl on Bear Claws adventure
SM on Northern Tier grace
Scouter Paul on Northern Tier graceMore Comments...