Webelos Cast Iron Chef Adventure
Adventure Goal: Learn good nutrition, safe cooking skills, and meal planning.
Complete at least Requirements 1 and 2 below.
- Plan a menu for a balanced meal for your den or family. Determine the budget for the meal. If possible, shop for the items on your menu. Stay within your budget.
- Prepare a balanced meal for your den or family. If possible, use one of these methods for preparation of part of the meal: camp stove, Dutch oven, box oven, solar oven, open campfire, or charcoal grill. Demonstrate an understanding of food safety practices while preparing the meal.
- Use tinder, kindling, and fuel wood to demonstrate how to build a fire in an appropriate outdoor location. If circumstances permit and there is no local restriction on fires, show how to safely light the fire, under the supervision of an adult. After allowing the fire to burn safely, safely extinguish the flames with minimal impact to the fire site.
Ideas for Adventure Requirements:
- There is very little information about fire safety in the Webelos handbook nor the Den Leader guide. Learn ALL about fires at Campfire Dude - including safety, different lays, and even colored flames.
- Learn more about nutrition at: ChooseMyPlate.gov, Nutrition for Kids, Nutrition.gov, and Nutrition Data
- Remember, lower shelves have lower prices at grocery stores.
- Learn all about dutch oven cooking at Dutch Oven Dude.
- Learn about camping food safety and cross-contamination.
Den Meeting Ideas for Cast Iron Chef Adventure:
- After scouts can start a fire, challenge them with this Fire Buiding activity
- Make Wax Firestarters
- Choose from many camp recipes.
- Sing Chicken Lips song
- Tell Complete Meal minute.
- Tell Balanced Diet minute.
- Sing Food song
Oct 01, 2015 - Doug
Oct 01, 2016 - Rob K Smith
As Doug suggested, use common-sense ideas. Anything government sponsored has an agenda and it's not the well-being of our children. Your kids medical stats will have an influence on the choices you make for your children.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
Jane on Arrow of Light
Justin on Arrow of Light
David on AoL Duty to God
Trish on AoL Duty to God
nancy ellenbecker on Cairns
Kim Thornton on Scout Oath
Jane on Scouting 4 Food
Liz Kramer on Scouting 4 Food
Jay Renner on Spoof Merit Badges
George W Wyatt III on /blog/460.aspMore Comments...