Cub Scouts Astronomy Academics Belt Loop and Pin
> > > Triple Prizes < < <
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Astronomy Academics Belt Loop
- Demonstrate how to focus a simple telescope or binoculars. (A local astronomy club may be a resource for this activity.)
- Draw a diagram of our solar system - identify the planets and other objects.
- Explain the following terms: planet, star, solar system, galaxy, the Milky Way, black hole, red giant, white dwarf, comet, meteor, moon, asteroid, star map, and universe.
Requirements for the Astronomy Academics Pin
Earn the Astronomy belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Draw a diagram of a telescope and explain how it works.
- Explain how to use a star map.
- Draw and label five constellations. See if you can locate any of them in the sky using a star map.
- Find the North Star. Explain its importance.
- With your parent's or adult partner's permission, interview an astronomer. This person may be a professional or an amateur astronomer from a local astronomy club. Report on what you learned to your den or family.
- Learn about careers that relate to Astronomy. Make a list of those careers. Tell your den or an adult family member what school subjects will help you get a position in those careers.
- Visit a planetarium or a local astronomy club. Give a report on what you learned to your den.
- Make a poster illustrating the different kinds of stars. Include a diagram showing the life cycle of a star.
- Learn about some of the early space missions. Tell your den or family about one of them.
- Find a news story about a recent happening related to space. Tell your den or family about this event.
- Write a report on two famous astronomers.
- Locate three major observatories on a map. Explain why these locations are good for astronomy.
Oct 07, 2012 - wonky15
Wally Curran on Rank Advancements
Larry V on Golf MB
Jodi H on Outdoor Activity award
Jodi H on Summertime Pack award
Jenny Simpson on Belt Loops
David Seaman on /boy-scouts/meritbadges/citizenshipintheworld.asp
Jodi H on Cub Knife post
lamme1010 on /content/content/cub_scouts_disabilities_awareness_academics
Donald McAndrew on Boy Scout Uniform
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content - scout software
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America