Firem'n Chit Award
This certification grants a Scout the right to carry matches and build campfires.
There is a wallet card and patch available.
This is a "temporary" patch so it can be displayed centered on the right pocket.
To earn this certification, scouts must show their Scout leader, or someone designated by their leader, that the scouts understand their responsibility to do the following:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire-starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I follow the Outdoor Code, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and the principles of Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly!
The Scout's "Firem'n Rights" can be taken away if the scout fails in these responsibilities.
(In our troop, we tear off a corner from the wallet card for any minor infraction. When all four corners are gone, the scout loses the fireman rights.)
There are two older versions of the card in circulation and still valid:
See this Progress Form.
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Aug 12, 2016 - Mark
I cannot find any info on whether this is a Boy Scout only item or if I can have my Webelos earn this.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys