Look at a cross-cut section of a tree trunk and pretend it was growing in Minnesota
and was just cut down today.
Figure out these questions:
- Is your tree a hardwood or softwood? _______
- Scratch the wood and sniff it. What does it smell like? ________________________
- Describe the bark. _____________________________________________________
- What kind of tree is it? _______
- When was your tree born? _______
- When your tree was 10 years old, how was the weather? _______
- How old was your tree during the driest years of its life? _______
- How old was your tree during the wettest years of its life? _______
- Were there any stressful events in your tree's life? ___________
Write the number on the growth ring when:
- You were born.
- Your mother or father was born.
- The century started.
Mark North, South, East, and West on your tree.