Webelos Fitness Activity Pin Webelo
Treat Your Body Right
- True False Smoking or chewing tobacco makes you cool.
- True False Smoking can cause lung cancer and heart disease.
- True False Athletes who smoke always play as long and as hard as athletes who don't.
- True False Smoking will not affect your eyes at all.
- True False Smoking stains teeth and fingers.
- True False Chewing tobacco is OK because it doesn't get into your body's organs.
- True False Alcohol doesn't slow down the brain and body.
- True False Alcohol can make a person see double.
- True False Alcohol can make you do bad things you would never do when sober.
- True False Drunk drivers kill thousands of people each year.
- True False All drugs, even prescription drugs, are dangerous.
- True False It's OK to take someone else's medicine if you're sure you have the same illness.
- True False Sniffing glue is OK to do once in a while.
- True False Toxins from certain sniffing substances can affect the liver, kidneys and muscles.
- True False Marijuana is OK in small amounts, but cocaine, heroin, and LSD are not.
- True False A cheeseburger, fries and pop for every lunch is a balanced diet.
- True False There are five food groups.
- True False You should have 2 or more servings from each food group every day.
- True False Your body needs vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fat and protein.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drugs
Identify the symptoms and/or effects of abuse for Alcohol (A), Tobacco (T) or Drugs (D).
- ___ Shortened memory
- ___ Slows down the brain
- ___ Causes lung cancer
- ___ Loss of motivation
- ___ Slows down the body
- ___ Causes heart disease
- ___ Less will power
- ___ Makes people see double
- ___ Can't breathe deeply
- ___ Tendency to drop out of sports, school, family
- ___ Can damage the liver
- ___ Irritates eyes, making them red and sore
- ___ Lack of concentration
- ___ Can make people do things they wouldn't consider when they're sober
- ___ Stains teeth and fingers
- ___ Causes poor judgement
Good Health Habits
Circle the correct answer(s).
- Bathe/shower (every/day OR 1/week) and especially after exercise.
- Wash your hair (1/month OR 2+ times/week).
- Wash hands (before eating OR after using the restroom) and when they're dirty.
- Eat right - (3 OR 4 OR 6) regular meals each day at regular times!
- Eat (just some OR a variety of) food from each of the 4 food groups.
- The average 10 year old should get (6 OR 9 OR 12) hours of sleep each night.
Clean & Strong
- True False Our bodies "repair" themselves while we sleep.
- True False Clean clothes aren't necessary after a bath or shower - they are just in the morning.
- True False Use proper lighting for all activities including reading, TV viewing, and playing
- True False Fitness is never just physical - it involves both the mind and body together.
- True False Stand tall, and walk tall with shoulders back and stomach in.
- True False It's OK to share drinking cups, washcloths and towels..
- True False Different foods provide different nutrients, and no one food can sustain us.
- True False Rushing meals or skipping meals can be harmful to your body.
Basic Food Groups
Match each food to the appropriate food group.
The puzzle below contains food item words.
When you find a hidden word, circle it and cross it off the list.
Challenge: Circle the words that are nutritious in blue.
Circle the words that are not nutritious in red.
P B C T O R W U A X D S A X F
I O R A N G E P Q V E S G K O
C P T T X Z A I F K M L N U I
K A E A P P L E G J N P R V Z
L B E H T K N Q T W A D G J M
E N H C O O K I E S N K O P Q
S R U V X Z C Y B C U F H K L
M F N P Q R V H W A T E R S W
F R E N C H F R I E S T A Z X
C U F H C I K M O P Q S I T U
V I X P R E T Z E L S Y S Z A
D T H C A N D Y K S L O I P Q
T V Z S C A K E B A N A N A E
P M I L K B I L O L W S S W E
S T C H E E S E E T R L I V O
U E P R R S U O D B W H W U O
W O N B S O D A T V W X P Q R
How Much Do You Know About Drugs?
Fill in the blanks or circle the letter beside the best answer or the most appropriate response.
- Drugs are chemical substances that cause
- Growth of vital organs
- Changes in the human body
- Elevations in temperature
- Decreases in blood pressure
- Almost all drugs work by altering the _______ of cell activities
- Which of the following is not a source of naturally occurring drugs?
- In the United States, what government agency must approve every new drug before it can be sold?
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Drugs that can be sold lawfully with out a prescription are called
- Hallucinogenic drugs
- Illegal drugs
- Over-the-counter drugs
- Prescription drugs
- Draw a line from each group of drugs to the primary effect these drugs have on the human body.
- Slow down the activity of the central nervous system.
- Speed up the activity of the central nervous system
- Make a patient feel relaxed and fall asleep more easily.
- Relieve pain without deadening other senses
- Produce loss of feeling and sometimes loss of consciousness.
- Which drug is found in chocolate, coffee, cola drinks, and tee?
- Which drug is a factor in at least half of all fatal traffic accidents?
Fitness Word Search