Bear Claws Adventure
Adventure Goal: Learn use, care, and safety for knives.
Complete the following requirements.
- Learn about three common designs of pocketknives.
- Learn knife safety and earn your Whittling Chip.*
- Do one of the following:
- Using a pocketknife, carve two items.
- With a pocket knife, safely perform each of these tasks:
(1) Demonstrate how to cut a piece of rope, twine or fishing line; (2) Open a sealed box without damaging the contents; (3) Open a can with a can opener tool on a pocket knife; (4) Remove and replace the screws on an object with the screw driver tool on a pocket knife; (5) Open a letter.
Ideas for Adventure Requirements:
- JackKnife, PenKnife, MultiPurpose Knife are all described in the Bear Handbook.
- Doing a slow, thorough job of presenting and practicing all the Whittling Chip information and skills is crucial. This should take longer than one den meeting.
- Scouts can practice with soap and a plastic knife, but a real knife is supposed to be used to do this carving.
Den Meeting Ideas for Claws Adventure:
Sep 12, 2016 - Jim Hectorne
Hi. My name is Jim Hectorne, and I am the Bear Leader in our pack. Before I begin with the Bear Claws adventure, I was wondering if there is a set curriculum anywhere that I could get a copy of, or if I should just use my knowledge and the Bear handbook. I know there is a test the boys must take, but I was interested in some kind of outlined program.Sep 13, 2016 - Scouter Paul
@Jim - Yes, the Bear Den Leader Guide is a resource every Bear den leader should have and you can get it at your local scout shop or scoutstuff.org. It gives den meeting plans for every adventure. The Bear Claws adventure starts on page 33.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
Scouter Paul on Personal Fitness mb
Mark Hartmann on Personal Fitness mb
Scouter Paul on Family Award
Scouter Paul on Webelos Uniform
Fabel Konicke on Webelos Uniform
Angele on Family Award
Scouter Paul on Habitat project
Lori on Habitat project
Scouter Paul on Uniforms
Whit Myers on UniformsMore Comments...