Cub Scouts Swimming Sports Belt Loop and Pin
> > > Triple Prizes < < <
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Swimming Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the rules of Safe Swim Defense. Emphasize the buddy system.
- Play a recreational game in the water with your den, pack, or family.
- While holding a kick board, propel yourself 25 feet using a flutter kick across the shallow end of the swimming area.
Requirements for the Swimming Pin
Earn the Swimming belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Practice the breathing motion of the crawl stroke while standing in shallow water. Take a breath, place your head in the water, exhale, and turn your head to the side to take a breath. Repeat.
- Learn and demonstrate two of the following strokes: crawl, backstroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, or breaststroke.
- Learn and demonstrate the following floating skills: prone, facedown float, and back float. The purpose of the float is to provide the swimmer the opportunity to rest in the water.
- Using a kickboard, demonstrate three kinds of kicks.
- Pass the "beginner" or "swimmer" swim level test.
- Visit with a lifeguard and talk about swimming safety in various situations (pool, lake, river, ocean). Learn about the training a lifeguard needs for his or her position.
- Explain the four rescue techniques: Reach, Throw, Row, and Go (with support).
- Take swimming lessons.
- Attend a swim meet at a school or community pool.
- Tread water for 30 seconds.
- Learn about a U.S. swimmer who has earned a medal in the Olympics. Tell your den or an adult family member what you learned about him or her.
- Demonstrate the proper use of a mask and snorkel in a swimming area where your feet can touch the bottom.
Swimming Online Resources
Beth Brown on Webelos
Mian on Nail in Attic story
Mian on Wolf and Dog
Amanda on Art m.b.
Scouter Paul on Rindercella Skit
Scouter Paul on Cooking MB
Jessie Fertig on Cooking MB
Bill Keller on Cooking MB
Sally Rogers on Rindercella Skit
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content - scout software
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America