Cub Scouts Language & Culture Academics Belt Loop and Pin
> > > Triple Prizes < < <
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Language & Culture Belt Loop
- With your parent's or adult partner's permission, talk with someone who grew up in a different country than you did. Find out what it was like and how it is different from your experience.
- Learn 10 words that are in a different language than your own.
- Play two games that originated in another country or culture.
Requirements for the Language & Culture Pin
Earn the Language & Culture belt loop, and complete six of the following requirements:
- Earn the BSA Interpreter Strip.
- Write the numbers 1-10 in Chinese or another number system other than the one we normally use (we use the Arabic system).
- Visit an embassy, consulate, or charge d'affairs for another country.
- Make a display of stamps or postcards of another country. Explain the importance or symbolism of the things depicted to that country's culture.
- Learn 30 words in a language other than your own. Practice saying these words with your den or an adult family member.
- Learn a song in another country's language. Sing the song for your den or an adult family member, and then tell what the words mean.
- Say five words in American Sign Language. One of these words could be your first name.
- Visit a restaurant that specializes in recipes from another country.
- Watch a TV show or movie in a foreign language. Tell how easy or difficult it was to understand what was happening.
- With your parent's or adult partner's permission, interview an interpreter. Find out what his or her job is like.
- Make a list of 30 things around your home that were made in another country.
- Read a book or story about an immigrant to the United States.
Language and Culture Worksheet
Oct 14, 2012 - John McFarland
Brian S on Mt Dew Chicken recipe
Kate on No Socks song
Kate on On the Loose song
Scouter Paul on Spoof Merit Badges
Sandra C on Spoof Merit Badges
Sandra C on April 1 post
STEVEN CRANE on Supporters
Lee on Purple Gorilla Story
Tim on Square Knots
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content - scout software
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America