Boy Scouts Scout Rank
These are old Scout requirements. See the 2016 requirements.
The first badge of Boy Scouting can be earned as soon as a boy joins a troop, especially if he has earned his Arrow of Light as a Webelos scout. This first recognition is earned by applying and memorizing some important scouting basics.
Some troops have Webelos scouts bridge over from the pack to the troop in February at their Cub Scout pack Blue and Gold dinner and then have a court of honor in March or April where they are presented with their Scout badge. It is certainly not necessary to wait for a court of honor to present the badge, though. A short, meaningful presentation at the earliest opportunity is best - see a sample New Scout ceremony.
How to Join:
- Go to BeAScout.org
- Click the 'Boy Scouts' tab.
- Enter your zipcode and click the arrow button.
- Click on a Troop near you to see its contact info so you can call the Troop or your local Council about joining.
- Complete a BSA Youth Application and Health Record and give them to the Scoutmaster of the Troop you choose.
- Meet age requirements. Be a boy who has completed the fifth grade or is 11 years old, or has earned the Arrow of Light Award but is under 18 years old.
- Complete a Boy Scout application and health history signed by your parent or guardian.
- Find a Scout troop near your home.
- Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Demonstrate the Scout sign, salute, and handshake.
- Demonstrate tying the square knot (a joining knot).
- Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath, Scout Law, motto, and slogan, and the Outdoor Code.
- Describe the Scout badge.
- Complete the pamphlet exercises. With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the pamphlet How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse: A Parent's Guide.
- Participate in a Scoutmaster conference. Turn in your Boy Scout application and health history form signed by your parent or guardian, then participate in a Scoutmaster conference.
Use this Scout Requirements Study Guide to help you learn.
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts