We learned a lot from our moccasin project at a troop meeting last month.
There were about 25 kits made and most of the scouts really enjoyed the project and were successful in starting their kits and finishing them at home.
Four scouts made moccasins from scratch. I got their shoe sizes and used a pattern to lay out the pieces on a side of suede leather. I also glued the foot pads in place since that would have been an hour of just waiting for it to dry and it is potent glue. They had to cut out the pieces, punch the holes, and lace them together with leather strips.
Things we learned:
- The kits had shoelaces instead of leather strips so the 'from scratch' moccasins were more realistic, but much more challenging.
- Kits should have been grouped by patrols and given to patrol leaders for distribution. Lots of time was wasted in handing out kits.
- Don't do projects in March. New scouts were at the meeting and had not had a chance to request a kit.
- Have a few scouts complete kits prior to the project so they can instruct and help the rest.
Posted: 10:17 04-09-2007 137 Previous Post Next Post
archives: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Site Disclosure Statement